Francesca Bannerman is an advocate for those who have suffered a traumatic, life-changing injury or loss. She brings empathy and compassion to her role.
Francesca has over 20 years’ experience in a diverse range of cases. She has seen the effects of wrong-doing by corporate manufacturers — from the devastation of a commercial airplane crash, to the pain and disability caused by a defective hip implant. Her expertise and persistence helped to achieve outstanding results in such complex cases. She has also won compensation for severe injuries caused by negligent medical treatment, reckless driving, employment discrimination, and other forms of intentional and negligent misconduct.
At Emison Hullverson, Francesca focuses on presenting a client’s experience of injury or loss to maximize their compensation. She is moved by the personal connections that she is privileged to share with her clients. Her goal is to present each one’s unique story in a compelling way.
In addition to her practical litigation experience, Francesca has also worked in legal education and publishing. For several years, she was editor-in-chief of California Civil Litigation Reporter, published by California Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB). She also edited several CEB litigation book titles, including Tort Guide, Expert Witness Guide, and Attorney Fee Awards. Prior to practicing law, she wrote profiles of Bay Area judges for the Daily Journal legal newspaper.
When not representing clients, Francesca enjoys cooking. She started after falling in love with la cucina Italiana on an extended visit to Italy after university. She is inspired by her Italian mother, a gifted cook, and is fortunate to have apprenticed with Chef Annie Somerville of Greens restaurant.
University of California, Hastings College of the Law
San Francisco, California, J.D., 1984
Montréal, Québec, B.A., English Lit., 1980
- California State Bar, 1985
- United States District Court, Northern District of California, 1985
- United States Court of Appeal for the Ninth Circuit, 1985
MEMBERSHIPS & ORGANIZATIONS
- Member, San Francisco Trial Lawyers’ Association, 1995-2003 & 2011-present
- Member, Consumer Attorneys of California, 2014-present
- Executive Committee, State Bar Section on Law Practice Management & Technology, 2006-2009
- Board of Directors, The Leonardo da Vinci Society (Italian cultural & social organization)
- Member, South End Rowing Club (SF Bay swimming & kayaking)
- Volunteer, Center for Education About Sustainable Agriculture (CUESA)
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
Publications for California Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB), 2006-2009
- Editor-in-Chief, California Civil Litigation Reporter, Feb. 2006-April 2009
- Editor and project manager, book products (annual updates and new editions):
- California Expert Witness Guide
- California Liability Insurance Practice
- California Automobile Insurance
- California Uninsured Motorist Practice
- California Attorneys’ Guide to Damages
- California Tort Guide (new edition)
- California Attorney Fee Awards (new edition)
- Editor and project manager, Action Guides (updates):
- Handling Expert Witnesses in California Courts
- Handling Depositions
- Obtaining a Writ of Attachment
- Laying a Foundation to Introduce Evidence
- Handling Subpoenas
- How Much is the Plaintiff at Sea with Warsaw? SMU Air Law Symposium, 1990
- Use of Demonstrative Evidence at Trial Bar Association of San Francisco, 1991
Judge Profiles for The Daily Journal, San Francisco and Los Angeles, CA 1988-1990
- Series of profiles of Bay Area judges
The San Francisco Examiner Newspaper / Image Magazine 1986 – 1987
- Sidebars for travel articles; research for legally-related feature articles, including gang-related murders in Oakland and the life of legendary San Francisco lawyer Vincent Hallinan.