Theo is a fourth generation trial lawyer – his great grandfather served as the Presiding Judge of the Tennessee Court of Appeals, as well as a State Senator, his grandfather practiced law until he was 92, and his father served as president of both the Tennessee Trial Lawyers’ Association and the Tennessee Bar Association. Driving around with his dad during the holidays visiting clients made a lasting impression on Theo. Without fail, every person who came to the door during those trips hugged his dad like he was the best friend they had ever had. Their appreciation for his work was clear. It was that ability to make a real difference in the life of a client that drew Theo into the practice of law. After graduating magna cum laude from the University of San Francisco School of Law, Theo began his legal career at Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison, an internationally respected litigation firm. At Brobeck and its successor firm Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, Theo handled complex business litigation and class action matters and gained invaluable insight into the defense strategy – insight he uses to offer his clients superb representation and results.
Theo represents plaintiffs in personal injury, wrongful death, and medical malpractice cases. He litigates each of his cases as if it is headed to trial and consistently achieves superior results. Theo has successfully obtained jury verdicts or arbitration awards in medical malpractice, wrongful death, auto accident, and personal injury cases. In 2008, Theo and his partner John Hullverson obtained the third largest arbitration award against Kaiser Permanente in the state of California. In 2009, 2010, 2011 and again in 2012, Theo was selected by California Super Lawyers magazine as a “Rising Star” in personal injury litigation, an honor bestowed on less than 2 1/2% of the attorneys in California under the age of 40. From 2013 – 2017, Theo was selected as a “Super Lawyer,” an honor bestowed on less than 5% of practicing attorneys in the State.
An active member of state and local trial lawyer organizations, Theo has served as a member of the Board of Governors of the Consumer Attorneys of California and the CAOC Kaiser Committee as well as on the San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association Alternative Dispute Resolution Kaiser Sub-Committee. Both the CAOC and SFTLA organizations are dedicated to the advancement and protection of consumer safety, civil rights, and the rule of law.
University of San Francisco School of Law
San Francisco, California, J.D., magna cum laude, 2000
- U.S.F. Law Review
- McAuliffe Honor Society
- CALI Award for Excellence: Contracts
- CALI Award for Excellence: Legal Research and Writing
Nashville, Tennessee, B.A., Philosophy, 1995
- California State Bar, 2000
- United States District Court, Northern District of California, 2000
- United States Court of Appeal for the Ninth Circuit, 2000
MEMBERSHIPS & ORGANIZATIONS
- Consumer Attorneys of California, Board of Governors
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers’ Association, Chair of the ADR Committee’s Kaiser Subcommittee, 2011- present
- American Association of Justice
- Consumer Attorneys of Marin
AWARDS & HONORS
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review AV Preeminent Rating.
- Selected by Peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, 2014 – 2015.
- Selected by California Super Lawyers magazine as a “Super Lawyer” in personal injury litigation, 2013 – 2015. Only 5% of the practicing attorneys in the state are selected each year.
- Selected as a finalist for Consumer Attorneys of California’s “Street Fighter” of the Year Award, 2010.
- Selected by California Super Lawyers magazine as a “Rising Star” in personal injury litigation, 2009 – 2012.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Co-Chair of the Consumer Attorneys of California Kaiser Arbitration Seminar, 2012.
- “Evaluation and Selection of ‘Neutral’ Arbitrators in Kaiser Arbitrations.” presentation as State Approved Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Instructor, San Francisco Trial Lawyers’ Association, San Francisco, California, 2011.
- “Kaiser Arbitrations: Even The Playing Field. What You Need To Know To Handle A Kaiser Med Mal Arbitration” presentation as State Approved Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Instructor, Consumer Attorneys of California, San Francisco, California, 2010.
- “Selecting An Arbitrator And Navigating Kaiser’s Medical Record Keeping System” presentation as State Approved Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Instructor, San Francisco Trial Lawyers’ Association, San Francisco, California, 2010.
- “Prepare for the Worst.” Considerations for Bicyclists to Ensure They Have Access to Adequate Compensation Should They Suffer an Injury While Cycling. Bicyclelaw.com.
- “Money In, Money Out.” A plan for maintaining a client’s Medi-Cal eligibility after receipt of a substantial settlement.
- Legal Aid of Marin, Board of Directors, 2008 – 2011
- Active Member, Surfrider Foundation
- Various Local Pro Bono Volunteer Activities